Friday, March 2, 2012

Tasty Twisted Smoothie Time


We have the threat of a tornado today here in Cincinnati.
I lived through a huge tornado back in the 1970's when I was a little girl, so I have a healthy respect for the damage and terror they can cause.
Because of that, once the threat from one is announced I have a little plan I put into effect to keep my family ready to run for the basement quickly.
First I grab two large laundry baskets and throw the following in: Shoes for everyone, jacket for each of us, box of candles and matches (I keep it on a shelf in the laundry room), wind up radio, wind up flashlight, bottle of water for each of us (even the cat and dog), snacks, the bag we keep our flash drives in (has family photos and important financial information on them), the dog's leash, a dish for water for them, and their snacks (dried beef liver), purses, and the video camera.
The other basket gets all of our laptops.
I put these right by the basement door so they can be grabbed as we run down.
It takes me fifteen minutes to gather everything into the baskets...that would be fifteen minutes we might not get once the sirens sound.
Once everything was in the baskets, I made myself a filling primal lunch.

Tasty Twisted Smoothie
I made this yummy peanut butter, chocolate, banana, and frozen yogurt smoothie. That's a lot of words...so I named it the tasty twisted smoothie. Here are the ingredients.

Tasty Twisted Smoothie:

1 cup of almond milk
2 whole frozen bananas
1/3 cup of almond or peanut butter
4 tablespoons of coco powder
1 frozen container of yogurt (I use the full fat coconut milk kind~dairy and soy free ~ I freeze these in muffin tins and them keep them in a box in the freezer till I need them. One container of yogurt makes two muffin tins of frozen. I use two frozen pucks of the yogurt in the smoothie.


In a blender add the cup of almond milk and the frozen yogurt pucks, blend till smooth
Next add one frozen banana and blend till smooth
Add the peanut butter and coco powder and blend again
Lastly add the next banana and blend till thick and creamy

This is one filling smoothie!

Tuscan Turkey Burger
I also had made Tuscan Turkey Burgers a few days before, so I put one under the broiler after I had added some pesto and Kerry Gold Sharp Cheddar Cheese on top.

Here is the recipe for juicy Tuscan Turkey Burgers...

2 pounds ground turkey
1/4 cup basil flavored olive oil
1/2 cup flaked Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon garlic
1 tablespoon rosemary
1/2 cup shredded fresh spinach leaves




Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, and form into patties.
Pan fry or cook on the grill till juices run clear.


I store these in the fridge to have for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

I hope you try one of these recipes and enjoy them as much as we do.


UPDATE:
I have heard there was loss of life and terrible damage from the storms that hit today.
My heart and prayers go out to everyone involved and their families.
God bless them in their recovery.

1 comment: