Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Primal Chicken Soup For A New Woman



This spring has to be the most wonderful I can ever remember.
Taking walks in January, February, and March in ever increasing temperatures is unheard of in Ohio!
I am giddy and thankful for other reasons.
I finally have control.
Control over what I eat...control over when I eat.
I've never had this before in my life.
It always eluded me and was unattainable especially about the food.
Now that I am living Primal I have it.
Washing the grains and crap out of me and my life has given me the power to eat only what I want and when.
Before this I was ravenous.
I could eat and eat and then eat some more.
Not now...I am not hungry.
I have make myself eat dinner around five or six o clock.
Tomorrow I will get up, have my coffee and go about my day with no thought to food. When evening rolls around I will make myself something Primal and healthy.
I will take the time to really enjoy what I make and eat, savoring each bite, not hurrying through the whole thing in a rush.
I will take time to be thankful for my food, and for the lessons I have learned this year about food.

Jackie sweating in the 80 degree temperature on our walk

Our little dog Jackie has enjoyed the change in his food too.
He no longer turns up his nose when we put down his bowl.
Instead of being filled with chemically altered dry kibble, I boil chicken, rice, and carrots for him.
The kitty gets just the meat but is thrilled to have it and has slimmed down a lot.
They both enjoy the broth of my homemade chicken soup when I ladle it on their dinners.
It is another one of the staples I keep made in the fridge for the kids to have when they are hungry.
It's perfect with the coconut flour biscuits.

Primal Chicken Soup
  • 2 tablespoons of butter
  • 6 organic carrots peeled and cut
  • 6 stalks of celery cleaned and cut
  • 1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms
  • 1 medium onion chopped fine
  • 4 cloves of garlic chopped fine
  • ground salt and pepper to taste
  • Spices (I use oregano, basil, and a Tuscan blend in rather large amounts)
  • 4 cups of chopped chicken (used a roasted one from Costco and put every bit of it in there)
  • 4 quarts of chicken broth (I make mine once a week - recipe coming soon)
1. In a large stock pot, heat the butter, then saute the diced garlic, onions, and mushrooms.
2. Once the onions are translucent and starting to brown add the chopped carrot and celery.
    Saute until they begin to soften.
3. Add the chicken broth, salt, and the spices, bring to a boil.
4. Once it reaches a boil, turn the heat down to medium, cover and simmer for about 20-30  minutes or until the carrots and celery are as soft as you’d like them to be.
    They should be easily pierced with a fork, but not mushy.
5. Add the cooked chicken, and simmer for about 10 minutes more until it is heated through.

We serve ours with the coconut flour biscuits that we love. You can add any other veggies that suit your taste buds and it will still taste great.

I hope you try this recipe and love it as much as we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment