Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Slow Roasted Italian Sauce

I have been getting more bold in the foods that I will eat and attempt to cook now that we are eating whole foods and trying new things.
I was in the process of making my spaghetti squash casserole last night for dinner, so I grabbed a jar of sauce from the pantry. I stopped and stared at the label for a moment.
I had not even thought to check this label out since we started our Primal way of life.
It was a shock to see all the weird ingredients and the sugar content of what should really be a simple thing. Tomatoes and other vegetables cooked and mixed up together into a silky pure goodness.
I had 10 Roma tomatoes in my fridge, onions, and garlic too.
So I got my big girl panties on, looked on marksdailyapple for a Primal recipe and got to work.
I quartered the tomatoes and took the seeds out, chopped up a whole onion and two cloves of garlic.
I put everything in a large bowl and drizzled it liberally with basil olive oil and a boat load of my favorite spices.
I roasted everything for fourty minutes on 350 until it looked like this...
Then I poured it all back into the bowl and hit it with my imersion blender till it looked like this...
What a wonderful flavor it had. I have to say it is one of the best things I have made yet.
I am going to make more batches like this in the future and freeze then or can them.
I hope you try something new soon...and love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment