Saturday, February 25, 2012

Getting Lean By Beefing It Up

Chewy being himself
Since my Mother In Law passed away, I have been following in my kitty cat's example.
Sleeping more, staring out the window mindlessly, not giving a crap...basically.
It has been a few weeks and we are all starting to move forward again. The grief has given way
to fond remembrances and happy thoughts of her instead of weary sadness.
It has been easy to stay on course of our new way of eating for the most part.
It's now become a habit...a norm.
I hadn't weighed myself since January and now at the end of February I thought it might be nice to do it again.
Total elation!
I have so far lost 25 pounds and dropped 2 pant sizes.
I have never felt this healthy or this strong.
I have lost so many things in my life by living in the Paleo / Primal way.
I have lost heart burn.
I have lost the tightness in my chest that I always felt.
I have lost the anxiety that used to plague me (even though things are pretty good for me)
I have lost the bloated, thick, and uncomfortable feeling in my middle.
I have lost the winded feeling when going up stairs.

I read a few blogs every morning, and one of them is Nom Nom Paleo.
This woman eats very well and has a wide variety of meats and veggies that she cooks daily.
I have wanted to get more grass fed meats into our diet, but was leery of ordering them off the Internet and having them shipped.
I have been researching a few farms in Ohio that might be good to purchase from, but many have certain times of the year that they butcher and you have to wait till summer or fall to receive it.
I remembered there was a shop not ten minutes away from out house that had a big board outside claiming different meat specials of the week.
I never went in there. I mean...really! I got my meat from Costco.
A huge amount of meat for a cheaper price.
That's how we used to do it, until I had watched several videos (US Wellness Meats has a very explanatory video) and read countess articles about the differences of grass fed beef versus traditional grain fed beef.

I went to Luigi's Market on a lark.
Just to see if I could get free range poultry or bones to make my soups.
To my suprise they carried grass fed beef as well as the poultry and humaine raised pork!
They have been the nicest people to deal with.
I bought 25 pounds of chicken breasts, 40 pounds of bones to keep frozen and make my stocks from, and 30 pounds of grass fed beef.
They will cut and package everything just how I would like it and even carry it all out to the car.
Heaven!
Nothing has tasted better than that grass fed beef.
It has a wonderful texture and flavor.
The first thing I made was a slow cooked roast that I was able to pull apart with forks...yummy!
Pull Apart Beef
Here is the recipe for one amazing grass fed beef recipe (we have eaten it for breakfast too!)


Pull Apart Beef:

3 pound beef roast
2 cups of my homemade totmato sauce (you can use any sauce you like)
2 tablespoons of Bragg's apple cider vinegar
1 small onion chopped
5 pieces of garlic smashed open (you can use chopped from a jar)
1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
1 tablespoon rustic tuscan seasoning (you can use any spices that make you happy)
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of pepper
I also used a few good shakes of dried kelp flakes


I let the roast thaw a bit, rinsed it and patted it dry.
Place it it an oven safe pot or baking dish on top of a large piece of foil.
Fold the foil up around the roast to hold the sauce in when it is poured on top.
Next mix the sauce with all the other ingredients.

Sauce for the roast


Next pour the sauce on the roast and fold the foil together so it makes a good tight package.
Some liquid might make it out, but that's ok...it happens.

Looking saucey





All ready for the oven


I baked it at 320 degrees for five hours. When I unwrapped the package I put the meat in a bowl, shredded it apart with two forks and added a bit more of my homemade sauce into it.
It was so good we had it for dinner and then breakfast the next morning.
We were so hungry I completely forgot to take a picture of the finished product.
I hope you try this recipe and love it like we do.
Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment