Monday, February 6, 2012

Primal Brownies...Better than the Bowl

This is a too true statement.
The Super Bowl has never meant anything to me but as a day to cook too much food and drink one to many martinis.
I thought this year might be hard to manage, as we are avoiding things made with bread, or potatoes.
I am also trying very hard to cut down on how much cheese I eat.
It seems excessive at times, but yesterday I acted as through cheese was it's own food group...mmmmm...cheese...and martinis...so not Primal, but hey...a must have on occasion.
I searched through the web for days to find recipes that would be good for our new way to eat, and still be healthy for us.
Buffalo Chicken Dip

I made Buffalo Chicken Dip, which was spicy and eaten with celery, and carrots.
Bacon Guacamole

Bacon Guacamole was amazing and served with Primal Crackers (made in triangle forms to be better for dipping.
Primal Brownies

For dessert I had made Primal Brownies the day before. If you let them sit overnight the flavors deepen and the chocolate comes through with force.

Here is the recipe:

1 Stick of butter (I used unsalted organic)
8 ounces of Sour Cream
4 ounces of softened cream cheese
1 tbsp of vanilla
4 large eggs
1 cup of coconut flour
1/3 cup of honey
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp aluminum free baking powder
1/3 cup unsweetened coco powder
1/3 cup organic heavy cream
1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate pieces (I used 70% dark)


Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

 In an 8" by 8" baking dish I cut parchment paper to fit the pan.

Beat softened cream cheese with electric mixer until smooth.
Beat in butter, vanilla, and honey.
Whisk together dry ingredients.
Add eggs one at a time to cream cheese mixture, and beat until incorporated.
Add dry ingredients and heavy cream.
Fold in chopped dark chocolate.
Pour chocolate mixture into prepared pan, and smooth top with a spatula.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, and top feels firm to the touch.
When done, place pan on wire rack and cool completely.
Cool pan of brownies overnight in the refrigerator.
Before serving I melted a bit of dark chocolate in the microwave and drizzled over top.

I hope your Super Bowl night was healthy and fun!

(The pictures of my other Super Bowl eats are from closetcooking.com and on my Pinterest page)

No comments:

Post a Comment