Monday, April 23, 2012

Low Carb Peanut Butter and Chocolate Pudding in Chocolate cups


I wanted to make a WOW dessert for our dinner party this last Saturday night, but being Primal we don't eat very much sugar or carbs, which is the basis of all good desserts.
I had been looking through Pinterest for something visually pretty, and fell in love with the idea of making chocolate cups to hold something peanut buttery.
I had grandiose plans to make my own puddings and the chocolate cups, but as my day ran away from me, I sent the husband down to the grocery for sugar free Jello puddings and made some improvements to their boxed treat.


First I blew up six balloons and covered their bottoms with coconut oil.
This did not help them to not stick, I have no idea why, but maybe I will try Crisco the next time I make these.


I heated up simple chocolate almond bark in the microwave until it melted, and then waited for it to get cool to the touch.
It has to be completely cool or your balloon will burst and you will be cleaning bits of chocolate out of the cat's ears...the electric plugs...the light fixtures...you get the drift!
Dip them in the bowl coating the bottoms and up the sides well.
I had to take my spoon and add some chocolate in thinner places.
Let them sit for an hour to be completely set.
Take a needle and holding the neck of the balloon between your fingers prick it, only leave a tiny hole for the air to begin releasing.
If you pop the balloon too quickly the air will rush out and collapse the bowl in on itself.



Here the balloons are slowly leaking air and beginning to pull away.
You can tell that I had some breakage and even some holes in the bottom of the cups.


This was a fail...I just gave that one to me when I served dessert!


They were still pretty to look at, even if not perfect.


Peanut Butter Pudding:

2 packages of cook and stir sugar free vanilla pudding
3 cups of organic heavy cream
3 cups water
1 cup of smooth peanut butter

Mix the pudding, cream, and water in a medium sauce pan.
Stir continuously over a medium heat until thickened.
Add the peanut butter in and stir till it begins to slow boil.
Remove from heat and transfer into a bowl, cover, and store in the fridge till set.

Chocolate Mousse Pudding:

2 packages of instant sugar free chocolate pudding
3 cups of organic heavy cream
3 cups of ice cold water

Mix the pudding, cream, and cold water in a large bowl with a hand mixer until thick and fluffy.
It will look light colored while it sets, but turn a rich dark chocolate color upon setting.
Put in the fridge for several hours to set.

I put two large spoonfuls in each chocolate cup to serve.
The mixture of the peanut butter and chocolate flavors was delightful, and very rich.
My guests really enjoyed this yummy treat and I hope you try your hand at it and enjoy it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment