Thursday, October 11, 2012

Primal Chicken Bacon Spaghetti Squash Alfredo


I know fall is pretty in Ohio and all...but I am missing Hawaii again.
I think I would not mind being island bound for a few years...I mean turning leaves and fresh snow fall is something great to many people, but I'm just done!
Give me ocean breezes, constant temperatures, palm trees...heck! Just give me the ocean!!
Oh well, the reality is I live in Ohio and it's cold this morning...as it was last night.
I decided to make more than just a piece of protein for my husband for dinner.
I have been seriously uninterested in food lately and it has harshed his world.
My husband would love to cook and create marvelous and varied meals together.
Bleh.
I don't want to think too much about food, it has lost it's appeal and hold on me and I am not anxious to go back to that place.
But for him I made a comfort meal extraordinaire last night...Chicken Bacon Spaghetti Alfredo.
It was as creamy and satisfying as if it was made with pasta, but didn't have that heavy and bloating after effect that true carbs give you.

You start buy cutting your spaghetti squash in half...


I have to use an electric knife...so much quicker.


Once the squash is open, scrape out the seeds and discard (or clean and roast if you like)


I salt and pepper mine and then roast it in a 350 oven face down on a foil lined cookie sheet for 50-60 minutes.


While the squash is baking I gather all the ingredients for the Alfredo sauce and get it started.


Finally smooth and creamy, ready for all the other good things to be tossed in.


The squash is done, but as always the cooking has released the water in the gourd and now the strands are mushy. I can fix that!


After all the strands are scooped out down to the skin, I put mine in a fine mesh colander.


I place a bowl on top of the squash, wrap my hand in a towel (because that stuff is a boiling hot mess!) and press out as much of the liquid as I can.


My husband cut and chopped up all of the chicken breasts and bacon for me while I was squishing the squash within an inch of it's life.


Looking warm and yummy with almost everything added in, it's just missing the bacon now.


Here is my plate (with my two handfuls of spinach I have everyday!) all that is missing is my apple.

Primal Spaghetti Squash Alfredo with Roast Chicken and Bacon:

1 Spaghetti Squash
3 Large chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
8 Pieces of bacon, cooked and chopped
1 Stick of butter (grassfed if possible)
1 cup of heavy whipping cream or half and half
1 - 8 oz package of cream cheese, cut into cubes
1/2 cup of shredded cheese (I used Kerrygold Dubliner grassfed cheese, for it's flavor)
3 Cloves of minced garlic or 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of dried parsley or fresh (I was out!)

Slice the squash in half and scrape out the seeds and middle parts.
Salt and pepper the squash, placing it face down on a foil lined baking sheet.
Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.
Scrape out all the strands into a fine mesh colander and with a bowl push out as much water as you can get out of it.

Sauce:

In a sauce pan melt the butter over a medium heat
Add the cubed cream cheese and stir until it has melted together
Slowly pour in the heavy cream and whisk quickly for a few minutes
Add in the cheese a little at a time, and then add the spices, whisking continuously.
As it begins to thicken add in the squash, chicken, and bacon.

Serve warm with your favorite salad or veggies.

I hope you enjoy this casserole as much as we did.

2 comments:

  1. I just want to thank you. I made this recipe for my family last week and they loved it so much they have asked me to make it again, not once since then but TWICE! I think this will have to be a weekly scheduled favorite in our house! My 8 year old always makes a face when I serve spaghetti squash to her...she misses the toxic white flour pasta I used to serve. This recipe has changed her mind completely. I've added some of your recipes to my pintrest boards and I'm eager to see any new blog updates. Thank you again! Gwen B.

    ReplyDelete