Friday, January 27, 2012

Putting The Healthy Back Into Our Lives One White Lie At A Time

Healthy Energy Bars

I have to say our teenage kids are being pretty good about our new way of eating.
Both understand that putting processed, chemical laden food into our bodies is what has gotten us all bigger than we should be, and will lead to health disasters down the line.
Still, they are teenagers and they were starting to baulk at one more piece of fruit for a snack.
I found a recipe on Pinterest for natural energy bars.
My husband and I put these together while they were at school, wrapped them up and made the presentation when they got home.
I handed my daughter one saying the magic words...it has dark chocolate in it.
She ate hers...no problem! The boy on the other hand waited till she had not vomited or flopped to the floor writhing in gastric pain.
So he nibbled on an end...then he took a real bite..."not bad!" he said.
That's when I let it fly they was a pound of prunes in those bars.
There was swearing (they go to public school) and threats to vomit, but no one did...and now that I have made a third batch, I guess these are a hit!
I hope you like them too...and hopefully with less drama :)

Healthy Energy Bars
1 pound whole pitted prunes
1 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup dark chocolate chopped or chips
1/2 cup flax seed meal
1/2 cup coco powder (I used dark)
2 tbsp honey
3 tbsp natural peanut butter (I used organic almond butter)

I pulsed the almonds down to tiny bits, added all the dry together, and then pulsed the prunes down to complete mush in my food processor.
I put it all in the food processor and pulsed it a few times.
Put it in a loaf pan lined with wax paper, put in the fridge for 2 hours.
I cut them into little squares and wrap in the waxed paper

No comments:

Post a Comment