Monday, November 19, 2012

Getting Ready for Primal Thanksgiving With Primal Apple Crisp


It's Thanksgiving this week and I have spent some time getting the place all dolled up for the big day. Our son will be home from college and I wanted the house to look especially pretty and warm to welcome him back. Here are a few pictures to show you what it looks like here this year.
The buffet will be filled with Primal yummies on Thursday
I spent too much time on Pinterest trying to figure out how to update the look of our bookcases for fall
I have Pinterest to thank for the ideas on putting together the Thanksgiving mantle

It is also our first Primal Thanksgiving, so I have had to remove some old carb filled recipes and replace them with our new favorites.
I am exchanging the flour made Parker House Rolls for Herb and Cheddar Coconut Flour Biscuits.
We are giving up the white mashed potatoes for just having sweet potato casserole (who needs two kinds of potatoes in one meal anyway?)
My mom is making the pumpkin and pecan pies with crusts made with almond meal and coconut flour.
I tried out a new recipe this weekend to see if it might be good to have on the big day.
Primal Apple Crisp was amazing! Warm and filled with fall spices, it is gluten free and will be perfect to serve on Thursday along with the pies.


I cut four very large honey crisp apples up into small pieces and sauteed them in butter and a bit of raw sugar.

I added in some lemon juice and a load of cinnamon.

I then mixed the almond flour, coconut flour, spices, salt, brown sugar, and soft butter together in a separate bowl to make a crumb.

I placed the warm apples in a coconut oil rubbed baking dish.


I covered the apples with all of the crumb mix and baked for 35 minutes until warm and bubbly.

I served ours in a pretty martini glass.
It was a wonderful treat! We don't eat much sugar now days and this was almost too sweet to me, but my husband thought it was perfect!

Primal Apple Crisp:

4 large apples cut into pieces
1.5 sticks of butter (grassfed is best)
1/4 cup raw sugar (I use raw organic fair trade)
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
3 tablespoons of cinnamon
(I also used cake spice, apple pie spice, and pumpkin pie spices in mine)
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour

  • Cut the apples into the shape and size you enjoy
  • simmer the apples on the stove top in 1/2 stick of butter, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of the cinnamon,and the raw sugar until they loose their crispness
  • In a separate bowl mix the almond and coconut flours with the brown sugar, 1 stick of softened butter, salt, and any extra spices you enjoy
  • In a baking dish rub generously with coconut oil to coat and add the apples, cover evenly with the crumb mixture
  • Bake uncovered in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes until bubbly and warm
I hope you try this apple dish and enjoy your Holiday with the ones you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment