Saturday, January 18, 2014

Snow Snow Go Away Don't Come Again Another Day


It's been snowing in Ohio...since November.
The year I started my blog it was the mildest winter we had had in decades, this year has been the coldest and most snow filled we have had in years. Ugh!
That my friends makes me a tiny bit crazier than I am during the spring, summer, and fall. It also makes me want to curl up in a ball under mounds of blankets and hibernate.
I have not gotten off my rather big butt in almost a month.
Every day I say to myself that I will hop on the treadmill or pop in a DVD. Does it happen? 
No.
I find another excuse to sit in my chair or snuggle with my little dog Jackie in my bed.  I still eat very well, but my weight never budges. I might have even gained a few pounds.
Sigh...I must make myself move more!

 

My breakfasts are always Primal and include spinach.








My lunch / dinner always includes protein, spinach, and fruit.

 

I'm lazy right now so there is not much cooking going on, but when I do it is usually already something that I am good at making.


Spaghetti squash along with cauliflower are my go to side dishes. 

This week it was squashes turn, and I made a chicken, artichoke, and spaghetti squash casserole along with a pesto parmesan side dish. These are perfect to make and freeze ahead of time.
I do need a treat, almost everyday.
I have been trying to make something that uses whole ingredients, and not just pure sugar.


I went back to an old favorite, Primal Protein Bars.
I have blogged about them before, and these are a favorite of even my picky daughter.
They are quick and easy to whip up with a heavy duty food processor (since they are super sticky) and curb even the worst sweet cravings.

1 pound of whole pitted prunes
1 cup of raw almond meal (I pulse the almonds down until I have a cup of meal, not flour)
1/2 cup of flax seed meal (I buy mine at Costco)
1/2 cup of cocoa powder (I use dark)
2 tbsp honey
3 tbsp of chunky almond butter or peanut butter
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (I used mini since they disperse nicely through each bar)

I pulse everything together in the food processor, press into a wax paper covered brownie pan (with a piece of wax paper under my hand-these are sticky!) and set in the fridge (covered with wax paper) for one to two hours until chilled throughout. I use a very long serrated knife to cut into bar shapes, wrap in smaller pieces of wax paper, and keep in a Tupperware container in the fridge. 
They really help when your mind says cookies, brownies, and ice cream!! You can grab one of these and stay healthier.


Jack and I are going to stay warm for now and maybe exercise (crossing my fingers).
Next time, I have a recipe for blueberry maple breakfast sausage. They are super tasty and perfect with any meal.







No comments:

Post a Comment