Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Sunflower Days And Primal / Paleo Chicken Meatball Bites


Summer, oh gorgeous summer!
I guess that Ohio summers are not too bad...temperate days and cool enough nights lately to have a bonfire...still wish I lived in Hawaii though ;)
I have come out of my winter doldrums and started to live better.
Winter wore me down.
I sat on the couch wrapped in large fluffy blankets and read...or watched Netflix...or read some more...and ate.
I ate anything I wanted.
Cookies were my sin.
I gained weight, was rewarded with some pimples for good measure, and saw my forward progress with my weight disappear.
As spring came I got my crap back together and began eating clean and Primal again.
The one thing I can't do is make myself exercise.
I am hoping getting back to the blog world will help me achieve this, Lord knows I have pinned a thousand exercises. I own hundreds of workout DVDs, and have a treadmill, a Total Gym, and Kettle Bells.
What the heck is it going to take to make my large behind get up and do it?
Sigh...
Maybe this.
Other people who have the same struggle.
So if your out there...let me know what works for you.
What motivates you out of your chair...off the couch...or gets your nose out of that great book you just started.
I did take the dog for a walk the other day, but only to take these stunning pictures at the sunflower field that is not far from our home.

My sweet little dog Jack
 
He was such a good sport about the whole thing.
Sat like a champ, and the bacon I brought along really helped.

Just love this one of him

   Another photographer let me borrow the little stool he is sitting on, too darling for words.

Chicken Meatball Bites
Every week when I go to Costco we always end up getting a rotisserie chicken to pick over for a snack or quick meal.
This time we had a very busy few days and I forgot about the bird in the fridge.
I didn't want it to go to waste so I picked it clean and put the meat to good use.
I made Chicken Meatball Bites.



  • Roughly 2 cups of chicken
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon of coconut flour
  • 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic
  • at your pleasure; onion powder, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper
  • 1 teaspoon of flavored olive oil
I put the chicken by itself in the Cuisinart and pulsed a few times
Added the egg and coconut flour and pulsed a few more times
Let it sit for a minute for the coconut flour to get going and then add all the rest and pulse again
I rolled these into balls and placed on a cookie sheet
Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 17-20 minutes until golden

I had these with my standard spinach leave salad, blueberries, avocado, and  macadamia nuts.
An awesome clean eating meal if I do say so myself.
My son enjoyed his with BBQ sauce for dipping and my husband used a buffalo sauce.
I hope you try this recipe and love it too.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great recipe, at our home we always eat half of the chicken and the other half always goes to salad - once cold it does not look so appealing.
    I know your winter drop out experience all too well. I got laid off from my job of 14 years and landed on the couch ate and watched TV all day. Soon after depression set in and things spiraled out of control.
    Earlier this year I discovered a website called LoseIt and I've dropped close to 25 pounds, I'm walking again and even training on an app called C25K for a race. I still have a ways to go, my goal is 75 pounds but for the first time in a long time I am in control of food. The difference this time is I have the support of a community. I have friends that are 2 years into maintenance and still log and journal their ups and downs. I didn't think that I'd be able to stick to this because I'd done Weight Watchers and hated all the point counting but it's easy. Keep moving, move forward you've done it before and you know you can do it. Keep blogging and thanks for the great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words.
    I had been too embarrassed to post anything since I felt so out of control and not living like I wanted.
    I am taking it one day at a time (sounds cliché but I have to or I get depressed again on the length of the journey ahead of me).
    I wish you the best on your road to health and fitness, and thank you again for reading!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete